Bergen County Mom to Mom's Fan Box

Monday, February 22, 2010

DISCOUNT BEAUTY & SPA SERVICES

If your regular $200 hair salon visit has become unjustifiable, how does paying $40 for the same services sound? When was the last time you had a facial for $23? Or a Swedish massage for $40? Here are three places that offer salon and spa services for a fraction of what you would normally be expected to pay. These are schools that open their doors to the public to allow students, who have hundreds of hours of logged instruction and training, to obtain practical experience before graduating and being hired by the top salons and spas. Licensed professionals supervise their work every step of the way, and you are constantly consulted for your opinion. 
Parisian Beauty Academy, 362 State Street, Hackensack, 201-487-2203:  Music pumping, décor popping, stylists hopping; the vibe screams NYC salon. The intense energy and outstanding level of service is palpable from the moment the valet takes the keys to your car. It’s a Paul Mitchell partner school, so the hair products are top quality. No appointments are necessary, but arrive before noon if you need color. $40 got me a shampoo, scalp massage, color, blow-dry and flat iron. My hair looked just as good as when I walk out of my regular salon, and I felt even better because I paid a fraction of the price. On my next visit I paid $15 for a shampoo, scalp massage, haircut, blow-dry and flat iron. I was very pleased with the results. Haircuts start at $12, color starts at $18, blow-outs start at $10. What’s better for the blues than getting a wash and blow out?  They offer $10 spa manicures and $20 spa pedicures. Facials start at $25, waxing starts at $7. Bride and groom packages are offered. 
Capri Institute, 615 Winters Avenue, Paramus, 201-599-0880:  Capri Institute is a beauty school that offers hair care and skin care services. Unlike Parisian, it has the definite feel of a school, but the service is excellent. You need to make an appointment for skin care services, but the facial I received was one of the best facials I’ve ever had. Except for the burning candles, the private room, and the extra fluffy towels, there is no difference between Capri’s facials and ones I’ve received at top-rated NYC spas. There are 6 tables spaced far apart in a large, dimly lit room. Trust me, after 5 minutes you forget there are other women in the room. My $23 facial included a leg and foot massage, arm and hand massage, neck and back massage, and heated mitts after my hands were covered in a hydrating cream. Really? Really! I’ve paid much more for mediocre service that included fewer treatments. Capri offers $17 teen facials, $21 back facials, $31 collagen facials, $25 enzymatic peels.  Haircuts start at $9, blowouts $7, spa manicure $10, spa pedicure $15, and waxing starts at $4.
Academy of Massage Therapy, 321 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Hackensack, 201-568-3220: Offering both Swedish and shiatsu massages, there is only one word to describe the experience of a massage here—sublime. Forget that you are in an open room with other clients; the room is large enough to make you feel like you’re all alone, and never did I feel as if my privacy was invaded. Besides, no one’s even paying attention to you. Recently, I was treated to a massage at a well-known Bergen County Spa. Yes, it was wonderful, but so extravagantly priced that it would be relegated to a holiday or birthday indulgence only. At the Academy, once I closed my eyes, the new-age music and aromatic massage oils made me feel like I was getting the same massage for far less money. Not only that, the price would allow me to come more often than once a year! Curtained dressing rooms are provided. One hour massages are $40 and they will leave you feeling peaceful and serene. I highly recommend de-stressing here.
Every one of these schools provided top quality services; and the students’ positive attitude is unmatched by top salons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment